Saturday, April 24, 2010

Twilight-1. FIRST SIGHT pg2

It was to Forks that I now exiled(self-imposed absence from one's country) myself--an action that I took with great horror. I detested Forks.
I loved Pheonix. I loved the sun and the blistering(intensely hot) heat. I loved the vigorous, sprawling(spread out in a disordered fashion) city.
" Bella,"my mom said to me--the last of a thousand times--before I got on the plane. "You don't have to do this."
My mom looks like me, except with short hair and laugh lines. I felt a spasm( a sudden burst of emotion) of panic as I stared at her wide, childlike eyes. How could I leave my loving, erratic, harebrained (foolish, flighty-unstable and irresponsible) mother to fend (to attempt to manage without assistance) for herself? Of course she had Phil now, so the bills would probably get paid, there would be food in the refrigerator, gas in her car, and someone to call when she got lost but still...
"I want to go'" I lied. I'd always been a bad liar, but I'd been saying this so frequently lately that it sounded almost convincing now.
"Tell Charlie I said hi."
"I will."
"I'll see you soon," she insisted." You can come home whenever you want-I'll come right back as soon as you need me."
But I could see the sacrifice in her eyes behind the promise.
"Don't worry about me," I urged. "It'll be great. I love you, Mom."
She hugged me tightly for a minute, and then I got on the plane, and she was gone.
It's a four-hour flight from Pheonix to Seattle, another hour in a small plane up to Port Angeles, and then an hour drive back down to Forks. Flying doesn't bother me; the hour in the car with Charlie, though, I was a little worried about.
Charlie had really been fairly (clearly, fully) nice about the whole thing. He seemed genuinely pleased that I was coming to live with him for the first time with any degree of permanence. He'd already gotten me registered for high school and was going to help me get a car.

No comments:

Post a Comment